Question by  asham2 (35)

What are some good lupus diets?


Answer by  wyeth (435)

Diets that help boost the immune system and have 75% "alkalizing foods" such as most fruits and vegetables,nuts,cottage cheese,lean chicken breast,free range eggs.The other 25% can be "acidifying foods"such as meats,legumes,oils and pasta.It is best to avoid excess fat,capsicum,tomato, potato,dairy,salt and cured meats.Fish and polyunsaturated fatty acids may be beneficial. Avoid "junk or fast food" and choose fresh local product.


Answer by  vitalichi (84)

Because lupus is an autoimmune disease, it is important for patients with lupus to eat an anti-inflammatory diet. Cut down red meat, dairy and fried food consumption is a start.


Answer by  winnieslo (132)

Following the recommended nutritional guidelines of the USDA is basic to maintaining good health. A diet rich in fruits and vegetables will contain anti-oxidants that reduce inflammation. Bone strength is a concern so calcium and vitamin D are essential. Avoid alpha sprouts as they can cause flairs of symptoms.


Answer by  vir (118)

in lupus the inflamatory condition prevails to the patient so all the food or food habits which can trigger the inflamatory reaction must be avoided. fatty food does trigger inflamation so foods like fatty beef should be avoided and lean beef or fish and products should be consumed as far as possible.


Answer by  patti (29325)

People with SLE do well on a diet that is low in saturated fats. Patients who have kidney issues should follow a diet low in sodium, potassium and protein. Balance and moderation are encouraged. Since the disease manifests in a variety of ways, it's always good to consult with a physician about the best diet.


Answer by  Natalie14 (230)

Eat a diet of simple raw foods such as fruits and vegetables, eat easy to digest foods and drink eight glasses of water a day.


Answer by  Kath (1537)

Lupus causes inflamation, so a diet that will help reduce inflammation is indicated. Lots of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and modeate amounts of meats and poultry. Oily fish has been found to reduce imflammation, so that could help. There are claims on the internet, but there is no solid backing of any of the fad diets.

You have 50 words left!