Question by  arunil (66)

Should I be worried about my furnace pilot light and carbon monoxide?


Answer by  bigdog22 (308)

No you should not have an issue with your furnace pilot light. It would be a bigger issue if your furnace was running. That said, you should invest in a carbon monoxide detector and put it next to your smoke alarm. I think about 170 people die every year in the US from carbon monoxide.


Answer by  navywriter (790)

You should always make sure your furnance pilot light is lit and functioning properly. If there is a gas leak, it could cause carbon monoxide to leak into your home.


Answer by  bris (82)

You have to consider carbon monoxide. Install a carbon monoxide detector. Issues of carbon monoxide can lead to deadly problems. There can be a deterioration of seals or gaskets. With the reduction in oxygen comes an increase in carbon monoxide.


Answer by  Mach (76)

No. As long as the flame is present, there shouldn't be any carbon monoxide build up. However, it is important to have a carbon monoxide detector in case the flame goes out. Gas companies add an odor to the gas that you can smell if there is a leak.


Answer by  John (9008)

All home, but especially those with a gas furnace, should have carbon monoxide detectors. These are not expensive or hard to install, and will ease your worry.

You have 50 words left!