Question by  Mari (134)

Should I be representing myself for SSD?


Answer by  summeroeth (88)

It varies state to state. It is has been statistically found that those that are represented are more likely to win their case. If you have the money, hire someone.


Answer by  bob42 (33)

Given the intricate nature of SSD eligibility requirements and various loop holes in said regulations one would be best served by hiring an attorney or other source of representation. If an attorney is out of your financial reach you should consider legal aid centers for assistance in insuring all of your documentation is in order.


Answer by  Elle (648)

You could but you stand a chance of being denied even if you have all the documentation needed to prove your case. Have a lawyer represent you .


Answer by  JCaliolo (12)

Normally you can represent yourself in these cases. Often though the process can be difficult and full of complicated legalities. In most cases you are denied. It as at this point that most people seek legal advice and counsel.


Answer by  Christian9247 (5042)

Only a fool represents himself! You want to find yourself a proper representative. 30% of these cases fail to begin with. You want someone who knows the law and who can argue and fight for you. Everything is appearance, you should be appeared to be disabled and not an able bodied person, no offense.


Answer by  Lola44 (40)

You can represent yourself for SSD. Review your social security files and all medical records. Self-representation is not recommended, however. Speak with an attorney before making this decision.


Answer by  GilFinn (2065)

If you have a clear cut case of disability with all the medical evidence to support it, you can try. More than half of all claims are denied at least once. You have one chance to appeal a decision. If you represent your self, get denied, I'd get an attorney.


Answer by  zscout370 (21)

While it is perfectly legal to represent yourself in a SSD hearing, it would be a smart idea to have an attorney on call just in case if you have questions or are stuck on paperwork.

You have 50 words left!