health procedures


Question by  Brittany (22)

Should a gynecologist or an oncologist do my biopsy?

I need a biopsy of my cervix to rule out cervical cancer and am unsure who to have do it.


Answer by  Binome (1975)

Oncologists know their cancers, but gynecologists are going to be familiar with cervical cancer regardless. I would say go with your gynecologist, just because you're probably more comfortable around him/her.


Answer by  patti (29325)

Your gynecologist is perfectly capable of taking a cervical biopsy for examination. It is a common procedure (called a PAP test) that your gynecologist no doubt does dozens of times each week. An oncologist treats patients who are determined to have cancer.


Answer by  jamieellison (1637)

In the best scenario, have an oncologist with a specialization in gynecology perform the biopsy. Otherwise, I'd choose the gynecologist.


Answer by  tamarawilhite (17883)

A gynecologist is just as qualified to do a gynecological biopsy as an oncologist. They will use the same lab to check for abnormal cells.


Answer by  Riley (765)

There is no reason why you gynecologist can't do your cervical biopsy. If the biopsy shows cancer, then you go to the oncologist.

You have 50 words left!