how to


Question by  Chrisme (94)

How do you go about testing for a speech delay?

I think my toddler may have a speech delay.


Answer by  moose7276 (190)

Go to a certified speech therapist. They are listed in a few reliable places, including the phone book/ Yellow Pages. However, you may want to start with your child's physician/ doctor. Also, check with local speech therapy clinics and programs. Check with your local county services, especially if money is an issue for you to seek out help.


Answer by  smoon (46)

First go to you pediatrician and explain your concerns. If you pediatrician thinks there is an issue they will send you to a speech language therapist who will be able to do some testing with your child to see if there is a delay and also if your child has a hearing problem.


Answer by  belle39 (966)

You should bring your toddler to a pediatrician and discuss your concerns. For example, if he stutters a lot you want to tell the pediatrician this. The pediatrician may refer you a speech therapist.


Answer by  Vllad45 (1886)

You will need to contact a physician (health department), an independent testing center (Sullivan), or your local school (may not test too early on). The best bet is a pediatrician.


Answer by  aeturnus (474)

Though only a seasonal professional can give adamant advice on testing a toddler for a speech delay, some signs that may, but not necessarily be, of concern are as follows: limited eye contact, failure to respond to sounds, fails to make noise with lips, fails to make simple body gestures, seems uninterested and fails to gain parental attention.

You have 50 words left!