how to  legal  name


Question by  jai72 (16)

How do you go about changing your name?

I want to legally change my name as I have always hated my name.


Answer by  BilWitters (436)

In order to legally change your name, you must file a petition with teh court requesting the name change. After that, you need to publish notice of the name change.


Answer by  Jackson78 (145)

Most courts have a relatively simple procedure available and some even have the 'fill-in-the blank' forms available to do so. It'll probably require at least one quick court appearance.


Answer by  patti (29325)

It is easier if you have an attorney take care of it for you. You will petition the court, appear to make the request and state your reasons, and the judge will order it so. You then use the documentation to change your legal records.


Answer by  Tericana (45)

You have to first apply for a name change to the appropriate licence office in your jurisdiction. There is a fee. It is most expensive to change you last name and least expensive to change your middle name.


Answer by  knowitall39 (475)

Legally changing your name is easy if you are a woman changing your last name. All you will need to do is go to the social security office with your old drivers license, marriage license and your social security card. If you want to change your name because you don't like it you will have to go to court.


Answer by  Ron27 (465)

Changing your name can be expensive (~$1000) with a lawyer, ~$400 with a legal document assistant, or $100-200 by yourself, with some effort. Look on your local court's FAQ page.


Answer by  palaeologus (564)

Almost every state has a court, such as a probate court, with the power to judicially grant a name change upon filing the proper papers and providing public notice.


Answer by  willyshrenker (16)

you have to go to the center for names in the united states and you have to literally write a new name on a card.

You have 50 words left!