Question by  Bernard (69)

How do you change your name on a passport?

I got married and need to have my passport reflect my new name.


Answer by  Darry (3853)

Once you have your valid marriage license and documentation regarding your new name you will need to fill out paperwork to receive a new passport. If the passport was less than a year old when you changed your name it will be free. If it is older there's a charge.


Answer by  palaeologus (564)

You need to mail either a Form DS-5504 or a DS-82 to the Department of State (use the free DS-5504 if your passport is less than a year old or the DS-82 with its $110 fee if it's older). You'll need your current passport, legal documentation for your name change (your marriage certificate will do), and two new passport photographs.


Answer by  Krissie (551)

The US passport website has the forms you will need to fill out--it might not cost any money to change your name, but there are forms and procedures to follow.


Answer by  monkeyz (3150)

You will need to apply for an amendment to your passport. Fill it out with proof of your name change and send it to the nearest passport agency, or wherever your passport was processed. This should take about two or four weeks to process, and you cannot travel in the mean time.


Answer by  patti (29325)

If the passport is more than one year old, you must mail it, along with your marriage license, two photos, completed Form DS-82 and the "renewal" fee to the address on Form DS-82. Less than one year: no fee. All the info and forms are available at the U. s. Department of State's website:


Answer by  Dean (4035)

Take your passport and marriage license to the post office, complete a name change form and have it all checked by a postal clerk before you leave. It may be a bit easier if you first go and have your driver's licence changed so that you have a photo i.d. with you as well.

You have 50 words left!