Question by  rach (28)

How do I request an extension from the IRS for filing my 1040 tax return?

I need more time, as I have receipts that I can't find. How do I apply for more time to file?


Answer by  cgroverla (516)

Before the deadline for filing of April 15, mail or efile Form 4868 "Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File Individual U. S. Income Tax Return. " You can print this form at irs. gov. Once submitted, you will automatically be given an extension until October 15 to file your tax return.


Answer by  catawba (19)

To request an extension, file Form 4686, Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U. S. Individual Tax Return. Keep in mind that this extension applies only to the tax return itself. If you owe taxes, you still need to pay them by the filing deadline. Failure to do so will result in additional fees and penalties.

You have 50 words left!