Question by  gunit9082 (30)

How big of a central air conditioner do I need?

I have a 2000 square foot home that needs a new central air conditioner.


Answer by  Ionoone (112)

Personally I would use a 2.5 ton for efficeincy, And Caulk every window and doorway, replace any that are damaged. Go with a high efficeicy unit also. possibly 15 seer. Now is a great time to replace your a/c nice rebates from the government.


Answer by  bogeyman (119)

Sizing of AC units are based on the heat gain of the home. This will vary with climate (location), orientation of home (solar heat gain), area of windows and doors, insulation, etc. Most AC manufacturer's websites will have some simple heat gain calculation tools to give you a rough idea!


Answer by  Jackie17 (83)

You need approximately a 60,000 btu central air conditioning unit to cool that space. I wouldn't recommend going below at 55,000 btu unit.


Answer by  wehadthought (391)

You need to calculate with more than just the square footage - the total size of an air conditioner depends on the size of individual rooms. You also need to decide whether you want zonal control across the whole house, or if you only want to target specific rooms.


Answer by  JohnHolmes (2660)

You should select a unit that is at least fifty thousand BTU's. This should be small enough that you can just have a unit placed out back of your home or on the roof if you would prefer. It should not take up much space and at 50,000 BTU should cool quite well.


Answer by  jim68 (44)

typically on average a ton is required for every 500 square feet. Although if it poorly insulated or inversely extremely well insulated the tonage is altered accordingly. Now-a-days specifically designed computer programs to calculate a homes heat load and sizing requirements simply be inserting several factors into the program. Most commercial companies offer this service free.


Answer by  mkwright (9)

based on a formula I found on the web you would need a 34000 btu air conditioner,the formula is based on room sizes,ie length times width devided by 2,witch should give you the correct btu for your situation


Answer by  hyperkid (470)

based on your square footage that your home has, I would recommend that you get a four ton air conditioning system. That way so you can ensure that your house is well cooled in the summer months.


Answer by  SubhashChander (1773)

For a 2000 square foot home, the central air conditioner is needed for about two tonne capacity and not less than that. 2-tonne Air conditioner would meet the requirements but if it is of the smaller capacity, then the cooling down would not be the proper in hot conditions and temperature.

You have 50 words left!