Question by  thespyc1 (5)

Without a court order, can one parent keep a child away from the other parent?

For example: The father tells the mother she can't see the child or willingly prevents her from doing so without good reason.


Answer by  patti (29325)

No parent can keep another parent away from a child. Courts believe that a child has a right to two parents. Except in cases of proven abuse or incompetency due to addiction or mental health issues, both parents have a right to time with the child. It is quite easy to file a motion for custody and/or visitation.


Answer by  Binome (1975)

Generally, no. But if the mother in that instance has been absent, or otherwise has no established custody of the child, then she has no right to it. You don't need a court order to keep away someone who has no right to the child.


Answer by  SubhashChander (1773)

Without the writen orders of the court, one parent cannot keep a child away from the other parent. In the given case, the father cannot tell the mother that she cannot see the child. The father cannot prevent the mother from doing so without the written consent of the court.

Reply by freeriley (1):
No custody order.I have always been the caregiver for Riley.Dad n I have ended our resationship.The grandparents of the child and maybe the father have stopped Riley and I from seeing one another. Their family friends OPD have also stopped any mother child contact. Even for a safety check. Pleaseelp  add a comment
Reply by meke (0):
i beg to differ. im a prime example of this exact thing happening to me for no reason at all even with a court order in place giving shared custody. i haven't seen my children in 4 years now and courts wont do anything!!  add a comment

Answer by  mammakat (11147)

No, they can't. Even with non-payment of support, without court stipulation one parent has no right to deny another parent. You need to write this clearly, or see a lawyer.


Answer by  tamarawilhite (17883)

If there is a child visitation agreement in place, neither parent can interfere with visitation with the other parent. To prevent visitation is a civil crime.


Answer by  Anonymous

A court order prohits witholding of visitation unless there is a stipulation in the decree stating a therapist ro someone else can stop visitation if they see fit.


Answer by  heather88 (1897)

you would probably need a court order. But you would need to consult a lawyer first to make sure the lawyer can tell you everything you need to know for sure.


Answer by  geocuba4049 (-2)

is the mother has the right to keep the child in an other country

You have 50 words left!