Question by  rochelle308 (19)

What can I do about a debt collector calling my parents?


Answer by  whoareyou (3483)

It can be very hard to get debt collectors to stop calling, but if they are calling the wrong people, then you can send a letter of 'Full Cease and Desist'. Look up that phrase on yahoo and you'll get all the information you need.


Answer by  Richard88 (391)

You can tell the debt collector that they are in violation of Federal Trade Commission regulations, which state that "debt collector generally is not permitted to discuss your debt with anyone other than you, your spouse, or your attorney." You can then sue the collector for damages.


Answer by  John (9008)

There is very little that you can do; your parents will have to act themselves or hire an attorney. Free legal help is available from their local legal sevices office (there is one everywhere in the United States) if they cannnot afford a lawyer.


Answer by  sarah39 (91)

The first thing you should do is perhaps stay out of it. After all this is your parents problem not yours. If you want to get involved, advise them to pay the bill that they owe.


Answer by  Branwyn (50)

First of all, you have to have your parents get the name of the person calling, as well as the name of the collection agency, and their address. Then they have to send a letter to the agency telling them in writing to never call them again.

You have 50 words left!