Question by  muffinx1 (232)

How do you deal with gender identity disorder in children?

I'm afraid she's too young to make a drastic change.


Answer by  franceswrites (52)

Ultimately, it is up to her. If she is concerned about her gender, she should definitely see a trained counsellor or specialist to discuss her feelings and her options.


Answer by  tamarawilhite (17883)

Gender identity disorder may evolve in children unhappy with gender roles and social expectations. Instead of assuming "have to change gender", get counseling for coping with gender roles and dissatisfaction.


Answer by  canadabee (932)

Some kids do know very early (as early as 4 or 5 years of age in some cases) that they're uncomfortable with their gender assignment. The key is to make sure your child is getting the support he or she needs. Start by speaking with your child's pediatrician and asking for recommendations.


Answer by  mharwich (12)

The best course of action is to assure the child that they are still growing up, and that it is much too soon to make a choice on that matter. Children and adults could be making a big mistake if accepted as completely natural early on.

You have 50 words left!