Question by  tiffanyjenkins (26)

How do you care for the fracture of a heel?

I have fractured my heel and would like to know how to care for it.


Answer by  PAtobeDU12 (239)

A fractured calcaneus (heel) is a very painful injury and usually treated with surgery. It is necessary to get an x-ray to determine if it is fractured. Typically a calcaneus fracture is treated with surgery. Keep the heel elevated and place ice packs on it to help alleviate swelling and pain, and take pain medications as prescribed by your doctor.


Answer by  itsame (275)

Keep your heel elevated when possible to avoid swelling. Also alternate heat and ice in a twenty minute on twenty minute off rotation to help manage pain. If pain becomes severe over the counter pain killers such as tylenol is appropriate. The best way to heal is to avoid walking on your heel as much as possible.


Answer by  patti (29325)

Stay off your foot. The pressure of body weight, regardless your size, will cause pain and impede healing. Use crutches when you must move around. Speak to your doctor.


Answer by  kaboom969 (242)

You need to stay away from putting any pressure or weight on to it. It's best to walk with crutches or sit on a wheelchair.


Answer by  jheremans (1446)

First apply cold compress on the area to relieve swelling for at most 15 mins, the get an x-ray for it and see if it needs a cast.


Answer by  Kat76 (475)

The best thing to do would be to go to a podiatrist (foot doctor) or orthopedic surgeon and have them cast your fractured heel. In the meantime, ice it.

You have 50 words left!