Question by  jazzy2009 (14)

If the deceased lived in Florida can the heirs file a civil suit in Ohio?

My deceased father resided in Florida, however I live in Ohio and need to sue the hospital responsible for his death.


Answer by  patti (29325)

A suit for malpractice or wrongful death must be filed in the jurisdiction where it occurred. An attorney who specializes in such matters will review the case for validity.


Answer by  CarlSCansino (464)

Where a suit can be brought is called "venue. " Normally, venue is proper in the county where the defendant resides. In cases of a hospital, usually where the hospital is located.


Answer by  Darry (3853)

You will be able to sue in regards to your father's death as you are his living heir. The largest difficulty is that the hearing or hearings will take place in Florida as it is the location of the "crime". Therefore, you or your proxy will have to be in Florida for these hearings.


Answer by  krpmuffitt (223)

If the hospital responsible for your father's death is located in Florida you will need to sue them in Florida. The best way to handle this is to contact a large personal injury attorneys office in the area the hospital is located. They are experienced in reviewing records to determine fault and can represent you in Florida.

You have 50 words left!