Question by  jramirez (1)

My ex and I have no custody arrangement. If my daughter wants to live with me, can I just go get her??


Answer by  patti (29325)

Kids shouldn't be allowed to manipulate parents and move back and forth in order to take advantage of either one. Sit down with the child's mother and come to an agreement that works for everyone. Depending on the child's age, she may not be old enough or mature enough to participate in the discussion.


Answer by  palaeologus (564)

If a court has not decided the respective custody rights of you and your ex, you likely now stand as equals. However, you need to go to court and obtain a custody judgment or else your ex will be able to assert that you are infringing on your ex's rights.


Answer by  tamarawilhite (17883)

Get a custody agreement soon. If you take your child and he does not know where she is, he can legally report her missing and you become guilty of kidnapping.


Answer by  bri11 (171)

It is always best to have a formal custody order in place. If your ex resides in a different state, you could hurt your future case seriously by picking up your daughter. If your ex is in the same state, you might be ok, but should go to court anyway.

You have 50 words left!