Question by  Sam65 (198)

If I have no custody agreement, what should I do to keep my kids?

Surely there's a legal step to take here!


Answer by  krenhoek (35)

You should file a custody suit in order to ensure your further custody. Normally, the parent that the child resides with has implied custody. It is important to have legal back-up, because the absent parent can still legally take the child.


Answer by  heatherbooboo (655)

You should go to your local court house and purchase the proper paper work to fill out and file your self. The cost is minimal and its easy. You fill the papers out then bring them back to the court house to be filled. You will see a judge who will make the final decision.


Answer by  hello93 (149)

You can draw up a custody agreement between you and your spouse on paper and make sure he signs it. This should be a legitimate way to have some agreement. It should hold up in court or in any dispute between the two of you. Make sure and have him sign it.


Answer by  Doris59 (1647)

As all states vary in their laws regarding child custody the first place to start, is to get a consultation with a qualified lawyer. They will give you appropriate guidance.


Answer by  tamarawilhite (17883)

If you are their biological parent and your name is on the birth certificate, you have equal custodial rights to the other parent. The only exception would be in case of rape of the mother, in which the rapist has no rights, or if you signed away your parental rights.


Answer by  Roland27 (16334)

Get a lawyer and start the process of getting a custody arrangement. That way you will have legal right to have your children.


Answer by  Alisa (903)

Get a lawyer and take the other party to court and get a custody agreement in place to protect both of you and get the children on a regular visitation schedule. You will have to most likely make the first step. Sometimes a custody agreement is not needed but it is smart to have one in place.


Answer by  Kassidy (223)

Get a custody agreement. Go see a family attorney, many times they offer a free consultation. You will have to file a suit for custody of your kids. Then, either you and the father will agree and sign a legal document, or go to court and have a third party decide who gets custody.

You have 50 words left!