Question by  Kathyj (63)

How do I request an extension of time to answer a summons?


Answer by  flamiss22 (5081)

Unless you have a good reason like illness or being incarcerated or out of the country you will be expected to attend. However you can ask for an extension then.


Answer by  krpmuffitt (223)

Usually the easiest way to get an extension is to contact the plaintiff's attorney and ask for an extension. If the attorney is uncooperative,you need to contact the court and let them know that you need an extension and why. The best way to do this is to draft a motion but in most jurisdctions a simple letter will suffice.

posted by Anonymous
Do I notify the court if the plaintiff attorney agrees to an extension of answering a summons  add a comment

Answer by  Jalaine11 (2043)

You will have so many judicial days to answer a summons. If you need to file an extension you need an attorney who has the power and knowledge to help you do things correctly in your state.


Answer by  patti (29325)

It depends on what the summons is about. If you need time to organize records, obtain documents, etc. , go to court as requested and ask for an extension.

You have 50 words left!