Question by  cw (43)

How do I file a motion to reduce or reconsider the amount of child support?

My financial situation has changed and so has my ex's.


Answer by  John (9008)

The exact rules for this vary from state to state; you should talk to a lawyer who is licensed in the state where you and your former spouse live. In general, you usually file a motion with the court that set the original support amount. You will have to prove that your circumstances have changed, and there are minimum amounts.


Answer by  patti (29325)

If you do not want to involve an attorney, go to Clerk's Office of the Court that handled your case. Someone there can help you file the motion, which is a simple process. You must have the address of your ex or his attorney. The motion will be heard and a hearing scheduled.


Answer by  technogeek (6640)

The courts will base your child support on how much you make, how much you spend on things that cannot be helped (living, not credit), and how much you can evenly divide between your children for 50% of their care. If you are the payor, you can ask for a reduction simply by contacting the court trustee.


Answer by  mb (5482)

You will need to contact the office of the arbitrator and they will have to file the motion on your behalf.


Answer by  CarlSCansino (464)

In order to change child support based on a change in your earnings, you will have to file a child support modification action in the county where the children reside.


Answer by  withsmluck (793)

You will need to request a review to decide if any changes in your situation will effect the amount that you pay for child support. A motion can be filed at your local court house to decide what changes should be made. You can do this yourself or with an attorney.

You have 50 words left!