Question by  Colbert12654 (37)

Could my parakeet be sick from paint fumes?

We had our whole house painted recently.


Answer by  MsLizziebug (833)

Absolutely, yes! Birds' lungs are very sensitive to fumes of all kinds, chemicals such as cleaning products can be very dangerous. An empty Teflon pan will kill a bird in a matter of hours if left burning. Keeping birds by windows or in a drafty room is sure death. I suggest taking your bird to a vet.


Answer by  worker11 (33)

yes,Small birds are very susceptible to fumes. Breathing the fumes can be enough to cause death. And they toxic for people too.


Answer by  Ruby40 (372)

Yes, absolutely. Birds have very efficient respiratory systems and are especially vulnerable to fumes. Paint fumes will poison your bird. You should immediately put the bird in a location with fresh air. You should take him to a vet as well, because there may already be damage done.


Answer by  dpboris (383)

That would be a big yes! You should get that parakeet to the vet as soon as possible! Birds are very sensitive to a lot of fumes, including aerosol, ammonia, arsenic, bleach, bathroom cleaners, heated Teflon, wood preservatives etc. In case you have to use one of these, take the bird into a separate room and close the door.


Answer by  wantabemedic (345)

Yes, pain fumes can be dangerous to parakeets. Actually, it can be lethal. Best advice is to remove them until paint has completely dried.

You have 50 words left!