Question by  suekellie (4)

Can you sign off back child support if the child is a minor, and the dad won't have to pay it?


Answer by  bubbyboy (9929)

In some states all a mother has to do is to sign a paper saying that she takes full financial responsibility of the child.


Answer by  lgk (2426)

Unless you can prove the child will not suffer for the lack of support, most states and judges do not allow this. They feel it is the right of the child to be cared for by both parents, and you will have a very hard time changing their mind.


Answer by  LawGuy (11)

In most states, the authority to abate a child support arrearage is solely vested in the Court, thus the mother alone cannot validly discharge back child support.

Reply by suekellie (4):
Is Kansas one of those states?  add a comment

Answer by  tamarawilhite (17883)

No. A parent cannot sign away the other parent's obligation for child support. The money is for the benefit of the child and legally theirs and for their upkeep.

You have 50 words left!