Question by  azkiki (16)

What should I do about an insect bite that is hot to the touch?

Does this mean it is infected?


Answer by  sanityrose (2664)

Insect bites hot to the touch are either infected or you're having a severe allergic reaction. Since blood poisoning can occur, seek care if it worsens or doesn't heal.


Answer by  flavored (88)

If you were recently bitten by an insect, any sort of inflammation can be considered an infection. If the site where you were bit is hot to the touch, it is most definitely infected. Your body is trying to reject the poison, and reacting to the bite. I would recommend consulting your doctor!


Answer by  mb (5482)

The bite may be infected. It depends on the insect that bit you. The venomous stings will cause inflamamation and will be warm to the touch. This is normal, apply ice. If it was a bite from a non-venomous insect it could be infected. It if lasts more than 3 days consult a doctor.


Answer by  blrVoice (1054)

Put on some ice, that should help to cool it. In addition to that, try applying some cold cream on your skin. Do not scratch or rub the area, if there is an infection, that helps to spread it. When it does not become better the next day, you should go to the doctor, as it might be something serious.


Answer by  jsmith (2067)

While being hot is one sign of infection, it doesn't necessarily mean the bite MUST be infected. Treat as any other bite unless the symptoms get significantly worse.


Answer by  martine (860)

Usually when any wound is hot it means it is healing. Your body produces heat to enable the cells to move to the infected area quicker. With an insect bite be weary of oozing for a sign of infection. Lines running down the arms is a sign of blood poisoning.


Answer by  325t25 (189)

No it doesn't mean it's too hot to touch. But it means that the area has been severely infected. You should basically apply some polysporin to that area so it cures.


Answer by  Requin (290)

That does not necessarily mean it's infected. The heat comes from your body attempting to heal from the bite, just like when you're sick with a fever. If you're worried about infection, take a pen and draw a circle around the redness of the bite. If the redness expands outside the circle there may be an infection.


Answer by  SIDDHU (861)

Yes if it swells then it means that it is infected. You should apply some cream locally and if the itching and swelling continues consult a doctor.

You have 50 words left!