Question by  DupsyMay (20)

What is an amoxicillin overdose for a cat?

I am afraid I may have given too much amoxicillin to my cat.


Answer by  worker4355 (99)

Cats should only take 5-10 milligrams of amoxicillin per pound. If your cat has taken more than that it is definently an overdose and you should seek emergency veteranary medical treatment immediatly. Symptoms of overdose may include muscle spasms or weakness, pain or twitching, seizures, confusion, coma, or agitation. Your pharmacist should also be able to answer any questions.


Answer by  mammakat (11147)

This depends on your cat's weight, age, and many factors. I question that you are giving meds without a vet's guidance. Human medicine is usually toxic to pets.


Answer by  67565fsdf (67)

You should take your cat to the nearest veterinaian. Amoxicillin is an antibiotic. The overdose symptoms would probably only include nausea and diarrhea. They should be able to simply keep him overnight and monitor him in case of any complications, and that would only be if his symptoms were severe.


Answer by  worker8388 (994)

80/mg/kg/day is the correct dose for kids to cover resistant S. pneumonia. For adults 3gm/day is recommended for sinusitis and otitis. We can use amoxicillin for resistant infections. Always use dose recommended by the clinicians.


Answer by  Roland27 (16334)

Don't blindly medicate your pets. Always give your cat medicine that a Vet has given you and the doses that the Vet tells you to give it in. Don't try to medicate the cat yourself with People drugs or even pet drugs... You could give your cat a lethal dose.


Answer by  Theresa25 (37)

Antibiotics are given in doses based on the weight of your cat, with three stages of pill sizes to be given. A quarter of a tablet for the smallest cat, half of a tablet for medium sized cats, and the entire tablet for large cats. Be safe, call your vet.

You have 50 words left!