Question by  Elle (648)

What do I do if my dog ate ivy?


Answer by  brandi10 (816)

There are many different species of ivy. Most all dogs will have some reaction after eating any type of plant. The severity of the reaction will be different depending on what he or she ate. First, try to identify the type of ivy your dog ate and then monitor very closly. Vomiting and froth around the mouth are normal.


Answer by  Binome (1975)

Generally, nothing. If it bothers his stomach, he'll throw it up. In fact, dogs usually eat grass and the like because their body needs to vomit.


Answer by  srainne (2597)

Various types of ivy have different results on dogs. If you know what type of ivy it is, look it up on the animal poison control sites for suggestions.


Answer by  JenaMae (794)

Luckily, you won't need to do anything. The dog's body will reject the plant and will throw up the ivy if it makes him sick. If you're concerned and think your dog needs to vomit and won't, then do NOT induce the vomiting yourself. Take him to a vet.


Answer by  wmgcgirl12 (293)

If the dog ate the houseplant Devils Ivy, also known as Pothos, or the solid green ivy also used as a houseplant, get the dog to a vet as soon as possible. Take a sample of the plant with you. If the dog ate outdoor poison ivy it should be okay as this is not toxic.


Answer by  champaign9497 (11977)

Nothing it won't hurt the dog at all. And if it doesn't agree with the dog's stomach all that will happen is the dog will throw it up and it will be out of it's system, problem solved. If you are still worried place a call to your vet and they will be able to help you out as well.


Answer by  mammakat (11147)

Some Ivies will only cause irritation, but others are very toxic. You should not try to treat a poisoned dog as you would a human, ie inducing vomiting. You should take your dog to the vet. The SPCA has lists of toxic plants.


Answer by  rbiales (3441)

A pet hospital will have the appropriate facilities to deal with this. They often have on-call advice to guide you. A lot of plants could be ivy, so finding out whether your dog ate a toxic plant would be a good first step. Taking a sample of the plant in question with you will be helpful.


Answer by  snappies (579)

It depends on what kind of ivy the dog ate. Some ivy is poisonous if the dog ingests enough to make it toxic, but it depends on the type of plant the dog ate. If it is a poisonous ivy the dog should see the vet asap.


Answer by  gbella (216)

The easiest way to treat this is to call animal poison control. They will tell you if ivy is toxic to your dog. You can also just monitor your dog for any GI signs.


Answer by  meena (400)

You can give the first aid medicine to the dog the dog can withstand till you take him to a doctor who gives medicine for the digestion.


Answer by  Anonymous

animals dont have effect of ivy especially the wild ones. they are used to graze many kinds of plants, grasses, ivy etc. but its possible that domesticated dog might get allergic to it which must be treated, as we weeken their immune system.

You have 50 words left!