pet health


Question by  Rex (11)

What can you tell me about taurine overdosing in dogs and cats?


Answer by  Scarlet (100)

Taurine is an essential ingredient for every cat and dog because it is a component that is needed to maintain good health. It is an amino acid and will not cause an overdose, any excess will be excreted. Overall, taurine is a an extremely beneficial ingredient in the diet of cats and dogs.


Answer by  Erica95 (323)

The Amino Acid Taurine is used to control seizures, among other ailments, in dogs and cats. There is no evidence to suggest that animals can overdose on Taurine but I suppose that like anything, it can be too much in certain large quantities. If you suspect any kind of overdose in your pet get it to your vet immediately.


Answer by  Mary15 (347)

Believe it or not but it is actually quite hard to have an taurine overdose. This amino acid is not stored in the animals as the excess is usually excreted.


Answer by  mammakat (11147)

Cats don't store taurine, so no worries there. Everything I researched says it is not a problem in dogs either and can be very effective in seizure treatment- however, LACK of taurine can can cause severe problems in both species. Your vet can give you very safe guidelines on when to administer taurine as a supplement, or taurine rich foods.


Answer by  smootoo69yahoocom (9)

taurine is an amino acid that is essential for cats. They need it in their diets. If they have a deficency of Taurine they could get retinal disorders. As for dogs it is not good for them. Also as in any substance you can overdose if given too much.


Answer by  Christian9247 (5042)

This is an essential ingredient for every cat and dog compound which is needed to maintain good health. As an Amino acid it cannot cause an overdose because the body will just absorb it. It not only promotes good health but it stops seizures in animals. The animal will also pass the absorbed Amino Acid through their urine.


Answer by  helol25 (680)

Taurine is so bad for you and for humans it can make your head hurt and you can feel all these other crazy symptoms. It made my nose bleed after 1 sip so Imagine what it can do to your dogs or cats. If you want to get them sick, then keep feeding them.


Answer by  champaign9497 (11977)

You need to imediately get the animal to the vet only they will have the stuff that will fix the problem if it's fixable.


Answer by  Priyanka (43)

taurine is an amino acid and is essential in the diet of both cats and dogs, but an overdose is definitely not good. although it does not have any harsh side affects, the overdose is excreted from the system of the animal. the quantity of taurine should be measured by the weight of the animal.

You have 50 words left!