Question by  tnnair (186)

I had my child support case thrown out because the father is on SSI/SSDI. What do I do?


Answer by  Binome (1975)

Nothing. The father has no income with which to pay child support, and therefore can't possibly pay it. You can't garnish the wages of someone who has none. Unless he gets some other sort of income, you're basically out of luck. If he has substantial financial holdings, a lawyer may be able to help.


Answer by  tamarawilhite (17883)

There are limits on the state collecting debts for someone who is indigent. However, you can refile - especially if you have proof he has assets that can be garnished.


Answer by  patti (29325)

If the case was thrown out, there is nothing you can do except get a job or two and support your child. Rather than spend any more time trying to get blood from a stone, focus on your and how you can make things work for you and your child.


Answer by  mammakat (11147)

This is not valid. SSI has nothing to do with support. Usually when this has happened, you have not supplied paperwork Human Services requires. It may be that he has not enough income, and then, I'm sorry, that's all. You need to get a meeting with Human Services and let them help you.


Answer by  caporfirio (804)

You should contact social security and find out who their representative payee is. The payee is responsible for someone on SSI/SSDI money matters and you would take them to court.


Answer by  heather88 (1897)

You should consult a lawyer and see if you can get the child support out of him. The lawyer could tell you more and if you can refile.


Answer by  worker2746 (2434)

You can apply for SSI yourself to help with child support. If the father is on state aid himself, then there is no money to pay you for child support. I would suggest an education, and quickly to find yourself a job to support your family, or marry a man with money.

You have 50 words left!