Question by  Dorje (17)

How do you go about defending yourself in a civil lawsuit in KY?

I have been sued in KY but I live in Ohio.


Answer by  audiocupcakes (346)

Well, if you are being sued in KY but live in OH then you will have to travel to KY for the hearing. You can represent yourself, you don't need a lawyer. If you do not show up you could be held in contempt of court.


Answer by  Advisor (1032)

If you do not have a permanent address in Kentucky, you can request a change of venue. Your defense can consist of a letter to the judge or you presenting a statement of facts in person at the trial.

posted by Anonymous
I too live in Oh & I am being sued in Ky. I took copies of my license, apt lease, pay stubs & medical insurance info to show the judge so I could get a change of venue. He chuckled & told me to get an attorney.  add a comment

Answer by  tschu (417)

After being served file your response or appear on your court date. When you get to court have all of your evidence in order and present it to the judge.


Answer by  Jakey98 (222)

Generally speaking, you have to be served with a lawsuit in order for it to be a valid. But contact a Kentucky lawyer to find out what your responsibilities are in that state.


Answer by  matt43 (65)

You show up at your court hearing and fill out papers that indicate that you are representing yourself. I would suggest at least having a court appointed lawyer though.


Answer by  fishlover49 (643)

You would need to file an answer to the lawsuit in court. You can do this by obtaining the required forms from the court. They can probably mail it to you since you are out of state.

You have 50 words left!