Question by  looneylopez (22)

How do you go about changing your name after a divorce?

I just got divorced and want my maiden name back.


Answer by  guyver3869 (449)

Once your divorce is granted, you need to take your divorce decree to Department of Social Security. They will give you the forms to fill out to change your name and SSN back to your madien name if that is what you want.


Answer by  Mary (2095)

You fill out a form with the social security office and may need to have proof of your divorce. After you have changed it with the office other companies will change you information by request and proof of the change.


Answer by  timmsa (577)

During the divorce you can tell the judge that you want to change your name back to your maiden name. And after that you need to go to DMV and file for a new license then you have to go the Social Security office and file for a new Social Security number.


Answer by  flamiss22 (5081)

Take a copy of your divorce decree as proof and re-apply for your identification. You may also want to put a notice in the newspaper stating that you hae resumed with your maiden name.


Answer by  Roland27 (16334)

You actually have to go to the court in order to get your maiden name back. The judge will grant your wishes.


Answer by  Jodie (551)

You need to check for the state where you live. Normally you would need to file a name change form with the court system. Some states do not require this.

You have 50 words left!