Question by  Sheila93 (12)

How do you get guardianship of your kids in Texas?

I am their father.


Answer by  souldolphindream (835)

If you and the mother are separated you need to petition the court for temporay custody. Once this is done,you will be given a court to go for full custody.


Answer by  tamarawilhite (17883)

If your name is on their birth certificate, you are their legal father. You have legal rights to visitation and shared custody with the mother unless the child was put up for adoption or you signed away your legal rights. If you are divorced from the mother, changes in custody must be approved by the court.


Answer by  bubbyboy (9929)

To get guardianship in Texas, you must petition the court. A lawyer will have to do this. Be prepared with all your paperwork and anything else you can think of that pertains to getting your kids such as proof of income and so on. Sometimes a character witness statement from your minister or someone you've known awhile can help.


Answer by  patti (29325)

Fathers get custody. Non-parental rights are granted through "guardianship." If you want custody, file a motion in the family court in the jurisdiction. You don't need an attorney, but you should educate yourself on the law, the process and how to proceed in a courtroom.


Answer by  tumsy (467)

If the kids mother is already dead, present any evidence showing your qualifications as Guardian. Show also evidence that you are the father of the kids.

You have 50 words left!