Question by  vestal (12)

How do I get a legal separation?

I want to get a separation from my husband.


Answer by  patti (29325)

Once you no longer live with your spouse, you are separated. A legal separation requires the filing of court documents stating that you are separated. This is important with regard to child support and maintenance. Some states require a period of legal separation before a divorce can be filed. See an attorney.


Answer by  dblake (96)

It's easy! Just go straight to your bedroom, stand directly in front of the largest mirror in the room, cut the lights and say aloud the following phrase: I WISH THERE WERE A PRE-NUP. Do this three times and call your attorney in the morning. Good luck!


Answer by  barkley (951)

You can either work directly with your husband to draft the document or go to an attorney. There are alot of websites which will provide the necessary forms for a legal separation, depending on the state you live in. If you can work without an attorney you may be able to save in legal fees.


Answer by  Maria99 (108)

Most states do not have a "legal separation" per se. You would be required to file for divorce to be legally separated, so that you can marry again without being bigamous


Answer by  CarlSCansino (464)

A legal separation in most states is just like a petition for divorce except that you are asking the court to divide assets, debts and sometimes the visitation of children.


Answer by  angiem1981 (1059)

A legal separation must be filed through the court system. An attorney can typically hire this for you. However, if domestic violence and/or children are involved you may be eligible for help from the state in filing this petition and it may be free of cost, contact the county court clerk where you reside for info on these programs.

You have 50 words left!