Question by  Chet (17)

How can I blow out the pilot light in my gas furnace?

If I do that, will there be a continual gas leak?


Answer by  canowoop (16)

The easiest way to get that pilot light out is not to blow on it, but to simply turn off the gas to the furnace.

posted by Anonymous
there is no danger of gas leak. the thermacouple cools when there is no gas burning, shutting off the gas flow. notice how you have to hold the pilot light in for 30 seconds. that is just enough time to heat the thermacouple allowing the gas to continue to flow.  add a comment

Answer by  thelostone (1457)

There is an opening in the furnace where you can see the flames, open it and blow it out. In most furnaces there won't be a continous gas leak.


Answer by  jsflw2010 (459)

First, you need to find the gas connection and turn off the gas flow to the furnace. This should be done while the pilot light is still lit. By doing this you will cut the gas supply to the pilot light and purge all natural gas left in the gas lines. Pilot light will extinguish itself when gas is depleted.


Answer by  sanityrose (2664)

To blow out the pilot light on your furnace simply turn the pilot light knob to off. If it is turned to the off position, you can be insured there will be no flow of gas. If gas appliance make you nervous head to your local hardware store and pick up a carbon monoxide detector.


Answer by  cat (36)

You must not blow out the pilot light on any stove or furnace. Yes, there will be a continued gas leak, which could build up and cause a fire, explosion,or death from carbon monoxide suffocation. There is a shut-off control valve for the pilot light. Use that to shut off the light.


Answer by  trudie1962 (1022)

With my gas furnace, the only way to extinguish the pilot light is by shutting off the gas at the entry point of the house - the master shut off. And yes, if you do manage to blow out the pilot flame without shutting off the gas first, there will be a continual leak into your home - very dangerous!


Answer by  Amber40 (24961)

Yes, do not blow the gas light out. The correct way to do this is to shut of the gas feed to the furnace. This should cut off the gas flow and cause the light to burn out. Then make sure that it is not seeping any gas.


Answer by  abccraft (85)

You don't blow out a pilot light. There should be a knob to turn to the off position. This stops the flow of gas so there are no leaks involved. This is for your safety.


Answer by  Anonymous

A pilot light will ALWAYS have gas flowing to it. You MUST shut the gas off. An electronic ignition furnace doesn't have a pilot


Answer by  champaign9497 (11977)

If you blow the pilot out the gas will continue to run and if you have a spark the gas will explode on the pilot vavle there is a know that you can turn to the off position that will shut the pilot off and it will also stop the flow of gas.


Answer by  tiredofdips (4)

Just shut if off. In any case blowing it out would NOT cause a gas build up. The thermocouple cools and shuts off the gas valve. If you don't know, don't answer!!

posted by Anonymous
You are just dammed right. You must be an engineer or an HVAC technician. I am 1000 % agrees with you. Cool thermocoulple will shut off the gas flow.  add a comment

Answer by  ConnorLee (40)

Just take a fan and turn it on high. You might get a gas leak but just wait about a few days and light a match that should fix that.

You have 50 words left!